Are you, your Kids and Pets Fully Safe from Christmas Holiday Plants / Flowers ?

Are you, your Kids and Pets Fully Safe from Christmas Holiday Plants / Flowers ?

Holy cristmas day is just knocking the door.The holiday season has begun and all those wonderful holiday plants are arriving in local greenhouses, garden centers and retail stores.Holiday decorations often include flowers and shrubs. Unfortunately, while these items are pretty, many of the most popular are toxic to humans or pets.Cold weather and the holiday season can be hazardous to pets.It is noted that any plant, even non-toxic plants can cause coughing or choking, or stomach upset when swallowed.Here is a list of popular holiday plants and their toxic effects:


Poinsettia Plants (christmas flower) :

You know about Poinsettias.The ancient Aztecs (the Mexican Indians) prized the Poinsettia as a symbol of purity. Centuries later, Mexico's early Christians adopted the Poinsettias as their prized Christmas flowers. The Mexican Poinsettia, known as the Christmas Flower in North America, is used in most Christmas decorations.

They are tropical plants, originating in southern Mexico and Central America. Introduced in the United States by our first ambassador to Mexico, Joel Poinsett, the poinsettia has become the traditional Christmas plant. They are available in red, pink, gold, white and variegated colors.Poinsettia euphorbia Contrary to popular belief, poinsettias have been considered safe for the holiday home since the 1970's. Eating several leaves can give you a stomach ache, and the sap can cause skin rash.It is noted that any plant, even non-toxic plants can cause coughing or choking, or stomach upset when swallowed.

Pines, Spruces, Balsam and Firs (Christmas trees and greens):

These coniferous trees are commonly found in homes at holiday time. They may be harmful, if ingested in very large amounts. Ingestion of small amounts may result in varying degrees of localized irritation and gastrointestinal upset and a primary concern would be aspiration or airway obstruction. Pine cones are not toxic, although contact dermatitis may result from handling.The sap may cause an itchy skin rash. Christmas trees are a bigger fire danger than poison danger.

Holly, Mistletoe, Jerusalem Cherry and Bittersweet :

These are all poisonous holiday plants and should not be located where children can reach them. Watch for dried berries that may have fallen to the floor.

Holly:

The stiff green leaves and bright red berries are extremely attractive to children.Eating 1 or 2 berries should be OK. More than 2 berries can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Holly berries are significantly poisonous, ingestion of 20 berries can mean death to a child.

Mistletoe:

The berries, leaves, and stem are all considered toxic.Mistletoe phoradendron All parts of mistletoe contain toxins. If ingested, mistletoe can cause vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. According to California Poison Control, one to two berries or leaves eaten by a child will NOT result in serious harm. If you hang mistletoe in your home during the holidays, place it in a piece of netting or a plastic sandwich bag to prevent leaves and berries from dropping to the ground where kids and pets can eat them.Contact the Poison Center if ingestion of any amount occurs.

Jerusalem Cherry:

This plant contains bright orange to scarlet colored berries. The entire plant is toxic.Ingestion can cause vomiting, skin redness, drowsiness or restlessness, and hallucinations.Seizures are possible, but rare.

Bittersweet:

All parts of this plant are considered toxic. The unripe berries contain the highest concentration of Solanine, which cause heart rate below 60, sedation, and headaches

Rosary Pea or Jequirity Bean:

These berries are very dangerous. They can be swallowed whole, but can be life-threatening if they are chewed prior to swallowing. Vomiting and abdominal pain occurs within a few hours after swallowing, followed by bloody diarrhea.

Non-Toxic plants to give this holiday season:

Awareness for Pet :

Comments

Is Mistletoe deadly if your

Is Mistletoe deadly if your child snifs it, rubs it in thier eye, or squishes the berry and rubs it on their finger?

Post new comment

Similar

Importance of Zinc for your Body Especially in the Neurons(Brain Cells)

Importance of Zinc for your Body Especially in the Neurons(Brain Cells) Zinc plays an important role in the proper functioning of the immune system in the body. It is an important trace mineral. This element is second only to iron in its concentration in the body.It is

Super Bugs / Multiresistant / Antibiotic Resistant Strains Inside Hospital?

Super Bugs / Multiresistant / Antibiotic Resistant Strains Inside Hospital?  Some new strains of bacteria have become resistant to antibiotics. Each time we take antibiotics, the sensitive bacteria are killed, but resistant bacteria may be left to grow and multiply. These

Traditional Nsaid With Proton Pump Inhibitor is Better Than Even Newer Cox-2 Inhibitors for Patients With Risk of Heart Attack and Stroke

Traditional Nsaid With Proton Pump Inhibitor is Better Than Even Newer Cox-2 Inh Although individual reactions to particular NSAIDs vary, in general the efficacy of COX-2 inhibitors has proved similar to that of other NSAIDs, as expected since both classes of drug inhibit the

Enteric/ Typhoid Fever: Progression, Diagnosis, Complication and Prevention

Enteric/ Typhoid Fever: Progression, Diagnosis, Complication and Prevention Enteric fever encompasses typhoid fever, caused by S. typhi, and paratyphoid fever, caused by S. paratyphi A, B, C. Enteric fever is endemic in the Indian subcontinent. Transmission is by fecal-oral

Criteria for Rational Prescribing

Criteria for Rational Prescribing Rational prescribing should meet the certain criteria such as appropriate diagnosis, indication, drug, patient, dosage, duration, route of administration, information and monitoring : Appropriate

Pregnenolone: Scientific View and Its Outweigh Benefit

Pregnenolone: Scientific View and Its Outweigh Benefit Pregnenolone is often referred to as the “grandparent” of steroid hormones in mammals. Pregnenolone is made from cholesterol in the adrenal glands and to a lesser extent in the brain, liver, skin,

Sitting for Long Periods at Work Have Risk of Developing Blood Clots/Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)

Sitting for Long Periods at Work Have Risk of Developing Blood Clots/Deep Vein T DVT may occur when the blood moves through deep veins in your legs more slowly than normal or when there is some factor that makes your blood more likely to clot. When you are bedridden (after