General First Aid Treatment Procedure
First-Aid is the immediate, temporary and emergency help given by a layman to a sufferer in case of an accident or sudden severe illness before a regular medical or surgical attention can be given. An appropriate first aid often saves the life of the patient and reduces sufferings and places him in the hands of a physician. The duty of the first-aider ends when the medical practitioner takes the complete charge of the patient.
The cardinal principles of first aid—In order of importance there are three important rules of first aid:
- Stop bleeding if any.
- Supply oxygen to the lungs.
- Prevent shock and further injury.
Every victim of an accident is to be managed with the above principles. Always keeps the patient lying down quietly and comfortably. Remove his fear with a reassuring manner and keep him warm with clothing’s. Look for bleeding, stoppage of breathing, evidence of poisoning, wounds, burns, fracture and dislocation in this order.
The General Principles of First Aid treatment:
- Work fast but carefully.
- Keep the injured person warm and comfortable.
- Loosen tight clothing’s —collar and belt.
- Keep the crowd away.
- Obtain medical aid quickly-phone the doctor or ambulance to take him to the medical center.
- Do not allow the injured person to see his own injury and in severe cases do not let him know about the kind of injury
- Always treat the most dangerous condition first e.g. stop the bleeding before attending fracture.
- If the injured vomits, lower the head and turn it to one side to avoid the material going to the lungs.
Attend the following:
- Do not allow bleeding to go unchecked.
- Do not over-look shock.
- Do not fail to give artificial respiration when needed.
- Do not fail to remove false teeth from the mouth.
- Do not try to give any drink for an unconscious patient.
- Do not touch a wound with your finger.
- Do not allow the injured with a fracture to be moved without applying any splint.
- Do not burn the injured with an unwrapped hot water bottle.
Essential Contents of First Aid Box :
- Roller Bandage of various sizes
- Triangular Bandage
- Sterile cotton and gauze
- Scissors and safety pins
- Tincture Iodine
- Tincture Benzoin
- Mercurochrome lotion : 2%
- Spirit (Rectified)
- Smelling Salt
- Aspirin tablets & Codopyrin tablets
- Artery Forceps
- Tourniquet with pad and stick
- Potassium permanganate (powder)
- Adhesive tape ( Leucoplast ), etc.