Hip Replacement Surgery Overview - Hip Resurface Center - total Hip Replacement - Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
What is Hip Resurfacing?
Hip Resurfacing epitomizes medical achievements in arthroplasty. Hip Resurfacing is a new conservative surgical technique of arthroplasty of the hip. In this, only the diseased surface of the head of femur is replaced with a cobalt chromium cap , retaining all the bone in the hip joint. The lining of the socket (acetabulam) is alsreplaced with the cobalt chromium cup .This mimics the natural hip closely and has near normal bio-mechanics, load transfer and range of movement.
- Live Videfor Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Surgery performed by Dr.Vijay c Bose - Part I
- Live Videfor Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Surgery performed by Dr.Vijay c Bose - Part II
Chronology of Hip Resurfacing Events:
Hip Resurfacing Surgery was first performed by Dr.Derek Mc Minn in Birmingham in the early 90’s
- Corin Hip Resurfacing was first done by Brig.B.K.Singh at the Army Hospital Delhi in the late 90’s.
- Birmingham Hip Resurfacing was performed for the FIRST TIME in INDIA in the year 2000 by Dr. Vijay C. Bose at ApollSpeciality hospital Chennai. The ARCH (Asian Regional Center for Hip Resurfacing) was then instituted.
- In the same time period this procedure was started in Korea by Prof.Yand in Japan by Prof Suganrespectively.
- In June 2002 the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) which is a medical advisory body in the U.K. recommended Metal on Metal Hip Resurfacing for all hip arthritics less than 65 years of age.
- Other medical companies like Depuy (2004) and Zimmer (2005) started manufacturing the metal on metal resurfacing prosthesis.
- In May 2006 The Birmingham Hip Resurfacing prosthesis which was now manufactured by Smith and Nephew received the Food and Drug Administration (FDA )approval in the United States of America.
- Hip Resurfacing becomes the ‘Standard of care’ for Younger Patients with Hip Arthritis the world over.